For people who aim to have a career as translators, you first need to earn people’s trust. In most cases today, people and businesses tend to rely on translators with both experience and certification. Whether you are searching for the right translator, or someone who wants to be a reliable translator, this article will be helpful for you.
As you read along, this will lay out various information about bilingual translator certification and translator certification.
What is a bilingual translator certification?
In its ideal form, translation is a matter of bilingualism since it deals with two languages. You cannot translate texts if you only know one language. Of course, there is an exception when using a machine translator. However, one should remember that they only provide rough translations and can lead to misconceptions, especially for lengthy documents.
A bilingual translator certification is given to translators proving that they qualify to translate documents effectively. The certificate also is a testament to the quality of work you provide for every translation project. Getting this certification can be a handful for some since they have to go through some exercises and examinations before getting the certificates.
How vital is translator certification
As with any other profession, one needs some proof of their capabilities. Otherwise, no clients will tap their services. Translator certification is essential for various reasons.
- Sets higher standards. A translator certification is a legal record that a translation service provider will testify to if needed. The certification ensures that the provider undergoes regular annual audits reviewing the processes for quality and efficiency. A certified translation company sets guidelines for checking and examining the translation to coincide with the original piece. More importantly, a certification adds more layers of validation.
- Proves that the translated information is accurate. Providers with translator certification assure clients that the document has been translated correctly to the best of their ability. Additionally, they can confidently testify to the accuracy of their work, supposing the requesting client inquiries. Translation services providers willing to position their services to the highest standard possible are worth trusting to do the work accordingly.
- Houses only the vetted and qualified translators. Translation companies have vetted translators to work on various projects. In some cases, providers have in-house translators. At the same time, others tap contract translators from across the globe. Also, translators are qualified by various degrees and certifications, including the ATA (American Translators Associations) certification. Certifications can come from verified linguistics and language degrees from certain universities and other certification agencies, which could prove the ability of someone to translate accurately.
Where can translators get certification?
Getting a certification may involve a few forms. On the other hand, some might carry more weight than others. Suppose you decide to get certified, ensure that the certification is within an organization that can have meaning to clients and employers you plan to work with. There are three main variants of getting a bilingual translation certification.
- The American Translators Association (ATA) for general translator certifications.
- The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators for legal accreditations.
- The National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters are for medical translator certifications.
Securing the ATA requires less specialized training. However, remember that it can also be a handful. If you are an independent translator and decide to get certification from ATA, you can probably charge much higher rates and work with prestigious clients. Getting an ATA certificate is a significant benefit for a translator. It is a well-trusted agency in the United States and worldwide. In fact, it is one of the most requested certifications for companies hiring translators.
Those translators who work in the medical and legal fields might need to secure certifications from the specified organizations above.
Who needs certified translations?
Generally, most businesses involved in international transactions probably need translators for their documents. Here are some common individuals and organizations which need certified technical document translations.
- Immigration. In most cases, since this agency deals with foreign affairs and transactions, they will mostly need certified translations of different vital documents like birth certificates, divorce certificates, or marriage licenses. It’s for immigration, visa, and customs purposes.
- Academic institutions. This usually happens during the admission process. Suppose you are an international student; you need to present certified translations of your transcripts and diplomas.
- Other government institutions. Some agencies like County clerks, Passport Authorities, State Licensing Departments, and Motor vehicle departments might ask for certified translations.
- Lawyers. US courts and government agencies might require you to present a sworn translation of documents. In most cases, certified translations are essential in determining translation accuracy.
- Businesses and corporations. Certified translations also help validate financial reports, legal documents, and business agreements to assist stakeholders.
Boost the quality of translation with a competent translation services provider
Bilingual translator certification is necessary for both the service provider and the client. With certified translations, clients can ensure that those who work for the projects are reliable and trusted to translate accurately. At the same time, providers with enough certifications can significantly get more prestigious clients.
Circle Translations provides certified translations in more than fifty languages. With this considerable number of languages, we aim to accommodate all the clients globally. We have our in-house pool of translators with translation working experience of seven years. Whether it is a simple one-page document or as complex as several pages of documents to translate, we ensure to provide similar quality of work.